What is the fibroblast skin treatment?
Fibroblasts are active, spindle- or star-shaped cells in the dermis. Their function is to increase the productions of fibres, collagen and glycosaminoglycans. Fibroblasts have the main role in the dermis formation and are of a key importance for normal growth, healing, wound healing and everyday physiological activities in all tissues and organs in the body.
The number and productivity of fibroblasts decline with age. Their density gradually begins to decrease and fibroblasts in connective tissue rarely undergo division. Cellular division and regeneration are stimulated only by a wound healing process or inflammatory response. Trauma from plasma stimulates fibroblasts to produce new collagen and elevates elastin levels.
How does it actually work?
The Fibroblast plasma pen works by releasing a small electrical charge with plasma gas through a small needle like probe. The probe at no time is invading the skin. The electrical charge causes a heated coagulation of the skin surface. The heat is not spread in any other area of the skin except for the area being treated. This stimulates the fibroblast cells to react to the “superficial trauma” to the epidermal layers and immediately starts to tighten. In the next few weeks of healing collagen is triggered to speed up and renew the skin.
How long does the process take?
First, the technician will be applying a topical anesthetic cream which will ensure guest comfort. This will minimize any risk of pain or discomfort. The cream will sit on the client for 20 minutes for numbing to take place on the treated area. 20-30 minutes depending on the area. The duration of the treatment including numbing time is 60-90. This will depend on how large the area is being treated, for example treating stretch marks on the stomach will take additional time compared to a lip or eye treatment.
Is the procedure painful?
Fibroblast Skin Tightening is a NON-invasive procedure with minimal level of pain. It is virtually painless, as the treated area is numbed before the treatment. After the treatment the treated area might be slightly reddish and some patients may experience some swelling (only for areas around the eyes) . At the site of each spot a small crust will form. They should not be touched and you should wait for 4–5 days for them to fall off naturally. During the procedure the clients may feel some discomfort, not actual pain, depending on the treated area of the face/body.
Is the fibroblast treatment safe?
The treatment is very safe, as it is a non-surgical procedure. The procedure is based on natural stimulation of the skin renewal process. The the side effects that come with traditional surgery aren’t involved. The procedure has a minimal level of pain. After the procedure the client may be slightly red and may experience mild swelling. Small crust darker crust will form in the process of healing and fall of within 7-10 days. The after care is of importance to ensure proper healing. Possible side effects include some inflammation, hyper-pigmentation, and scarring. These side effects are rare if the client if the client neglects the aftercare instructions the side effects could be more likely.
Are the results visible immediately after the treatment?
The results are visible immediately after the treatment, but we have to inform the client that the maximum results will be visible after 3–4 weeks when the skin enters the third phase of the healing – collagen and connective tissue growth. So, results are visible immediately, but the end results follow after 3–4 weeks after the treatment.
How many treatments are required for a perfect result?
It depends on the state of the clients’ skin and the desired degree of correction. The client is often satisfied after only one treatment, of course if, the wrinkles are not very deep, but due to the simplicity of the procedure and the affordable price the clients opt for two or even three treatments to achieve a perfect result. The procedure may be repeated after the skin is fully regenerated, so 6–8 weeks after the procedure. Generally 2 sessions are required.
How long will the effect of the Fibroblast treatment last?
The results of the Fibroblast treatment are permanent and may be visible for years. But we should acknowledge that the aging process is continuous and thus the skin ages every day after the procedure and this cannot be stopped. The results of this method are permanent, but when we talk about mimic facial lines (worry lines) these may recur quickly because muscles are stronger than the skin and consequently the lines recur. Average results last from 2-4 years.
Plasma skin tightening pre / post care
If you are considering Plasma Skin Tightening, you should be in good health at the time of the appointment, with no pre-existing health conditions. Ideal candidates for this cosmetic procedure are those with lax, crepe-like skin around the eyes, neck, tummy, mouth, or targeted area for the treatment.
Contraindications. Fibroblast Plasma Skin Tightening is inadvisable for the following:
- If you are prone to keloid scars.
- If you have diabetes, healing disorders, or lymphatic draining issues.
- If you have a history of hyper-pigmentation.
- If you wear a pacemaker.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- This treatment is only recommended on light-medium skin tones. Anyone with a darker complexion is at risk for hyper-pigmentation.
- You must not display Herpes Simplex Virus (Cold sores/Fever blisters). You must reschedule your appointment if you are experiencing an outbreak. If they have experienced Herpes Simplex Virus (cold sores/fever blisters) in the past you must see your Medical Doctor and obtain a prescription for Valtrex and begin taking it 3 days before treatment and for 4 days following treatment.
Plasma skin tightening pre-care
- If you are displaying signs of cold or flu the treatment should be rescheduled.
- Contact lenses must be removed when performing treatment on the upper eyelids.
- Skin should not be inflamed in the area we are treating prior to procedure.
- If you have a sunburn/suntan treatment should be postponed for up to 8 weeks or until tan/burn signs disappear.
- Discontinue use of any AHA and/or Retinol skincare products for 4 weeks prior to treatment.
- Eyelash extensions receiving upper or lower eyelid treatment MUST have lashes removed prior to treatment and reapplied after 8 weeks.
- Discontinue use of any cleaners, creams, and serums containing acids such as salicylic, glycolic, and lactic 4 weeks prior to having any facial Plasma Skin Tightening procedures performed.
Plasma skin tightening post-care
- Ice the treated area (use a clean tea towel to cover the ice pack) alternating 10 minutes on and 10 minutes off, for up to one hour for the first 2 days.
- Keep the treated area clean using a mild unscented glycerin or Dove unscented soap twice a day (morning and night) Gently splash the area with cool water and very gently clean with soap and rinse very thoroughly. Use very mild gentle pressure to clean skin.
- Gently apply your aftercare product (using only clean hands) to the treated area as needed to relieve pain/itching each day until your scabs fall off on their own.
- IMPORTANT!!! Allow the scabs to come off on their own. This will ensure the best possible healed result and avoid scarring and infection.
- Be patient with the process and allow yourself time to rest and heal.
- Avoid sun exposure and tanning beds – Once the scabbing/peeling process is complete, always apply a broad spectrum sunblock to the treated area for a minimum of 3 months after your last treatment. The skin is still healing and can easily become damaged by the UV rays causing hyperpigmentation.
- Do not pick the scabs. Let them fall off by themselves or you risk scarring.
- Do not apply any make-up (even mineral) for the first 4 days or until the scabbing or peeling is complete (about 7-10 days).
- Do not apply any plasters (liquid bandaid) on the treated areas as doing so can delay the natural healing process.
- Do not work out, swim, get in a hot tub or steam bath (avoid sweating and sauna).
Swelling is to be expected after this type of treatment. This is due to the fact that the area will be recovering from a deliberate controlled wound, therefore the natural side effect is swelling. There are steps you can take to minimize the swelling but it cannot be avoided. You can’t avoid or cure the swelling – it is a response to the trauma. The swelling will subside in a matter of days.
Stages of healing
DAY 1 – Try to lay propped up with pillows. Do not lay completely horizontal. Weeping from the treated area is normal as well as some pain and discomfort. The swelling will likely be worse in the mornings and lessen towards the evening. You may find it difficult to open your eyes in the morning following the treatment however, it will subside throughout the day. It will feel like a bad sunburn.
DAY 2 – The swelling typically peaks by day 2. Do not be surprised if the swelling is worse on the 2nd day. Remember: swelling is worse in the mornings and lessens throughout the day. Swelling can also spread to the under eye area DON’T PANIC this is perfectly normal. The upper and lower eye are all connected therefore the fluids from the upper eye will drain to the lower eye area. This too shall pass. Discomfort and pain are still present and to be expected on the second day.
DAY 3 – You will notice an improvement in the swelling and the “dots” will start to crust/scab over. The scabs must not be picked, allow them to fall off on their own. Your level of discomfort will have subsided dramatically. Minimal pain expected for the 3rd day. For those who experienced the under eye swelling, this will still be present.
DAY 4 – Some mild residual swelling may still be present on the upper eyelids. No more pain or discomfort should be felt.
DAY 5 – Swelling should be complete and scabs may still be present. The under eye swelling should be almost completely resolved by this point if not gone.
When can you resume your regular AHA skin cleansing this would include cleaners, creams and serums containing acids such as salicylic, glycolic, lactic, etc.) routine?
It is safe for you to reintroduce these types of products at the 8 week post treatment mark.